I am a big fan of using interactive data exploration tools. I enjoy learning new approaches and tools. In Excel 2013 Microsoft added a timeline feature. This feature gives Pivot Table users the ability to isolate data through an interactive timeline tool. Here is how it works:
The first criterion needed to utilize this tool is a data set that contains data information. In the table above I have journal entries by date.
- Create a Pivot Table from the data set
2. Once the Pivot Table has been created Click Insert Timeline within the Options menu
3. A menu will appear
4. Check the box that involves the date
5. Click Ok
6. A horizontal interactive scroll bar will appear with dates.
7. Use the mouse to focus on the time desired time range